Sunday 17 April 2011

The strangeness of identity

I attended a talk years ago by a yoga mahaguru, about human and their journey towards identifying themselves. Our physical body, when narrowed down into its smallest being, is none other but countless numbers of atoms, that each will look exactly the same, so how are we different from others ? How do we identify our being with the rest of the world, between good and bad. It is tragic that many people identify themselves by the things they own, small car, big car, make-up brand they use, brand of their handbags and clothes, size of their house, their job, their family ..... is that a right thing to do ? That I am a simple person because of the money I spent on food, for example. That I am classy because this is the handbag design I like to carry. That I am humble because I don't buy any of those. Really ? I struggle to find my own identity, what am I ? While still in search for the ultimate answer, I know for sure that identifying yourself against worldly material is none of the answer. It worries me that I am beginning to have list of things I want lately, Louis Vutton Alma in Vernis, LV Black Idylle, Speedy 35 with straps, Red Vincci Shoes, Toyota Vios, White CRV, Return to Tiffany 18K Gold earring, this and that, cheap and expensive. I have to constantly remind myself that those are only to reward myself and in doing so, never ever forget to share some with the unfortunates. That having the Vernis Alma is merely because the price pays for the quality, not because I will look classy with it, for a classy person are those with classy personality not what they carry.

As far as the mind is in the action of reminding, I should be find. I still do not have answers on my identity, but one thing for sure, the bag or car or shoes are there to serve me, not identify me, for what I am is how I behave !!!

But still ..... I love Louis Vutton !

No comments:

Post a Comment